New Logo

New Logo

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wishing for snow?

With the northeast being blanketed with a ton of snow, I find myself (as I sit in North Carolina) wishing just some of it would have come here.  I'm originally from New York - Long Island actually - and still have a lot of friends and family up there.  With all of the updates I saw on the news and Facebook and the phone calls I got, I sort of felt like I should have been getting some of the white stuff too!

We tend to get flurries here without much accumulation and we see more ice storms than snow storms.  Either way, when that happens everything shuts down here for days.  I've seen school get canceled because there was a POSSIBILITY of snow!  They don't have the equipment here to deal with the winter weather but it still makes me laugh a little at how an inch of snow can bring down the state.

Back in 2000, my son was only a week old and we were expecting some flurries.  Well, the flurries turned into two feet of snow that no one was prepared for!  We were literally snowed in for over a week!  With a newborn!!!  Oh, and did I mention that he was three weeks early so we still didn't have a lot of the things we needed for him?  Yeah, good times.

We're in our new house this year - been here about 9 months now - and I can't help but want a little bit of snow in my yard.  Our last house had a dirt driveway.  There was no shoveling that mess.  For the first time in 20 years, we have a driveway to shovel and, silly as it sounds, I want to shovel it.

Not two feet of it - just to be clear.

I love to bake when we're expecting snow.  Never mind bread and milk, get me a brownie mix and some icing and I am good to go!  For some reason, I look at a snow day as a day to curl up with a good book and eat comfort foods. 

And by comfort foods, I mean anything with chocolate.

So where are you at right now?  Is it snowing?  Are you wishing for snow? Any rituals for when it does?

1 comment:

  1. CA is already blooming with spring blossoms and its only end of January!!!!!!! Can't believe it....spring already here!!!!

    ReplyDelete