New Logo

New Logo

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Date Night

I remember how much I used to love to go out on a date.  When my husband and I first met, we'd go out several times a week.  When we were newlyweds, we would try and go out once a week on a date night.  By the time the kids came along, we were lucky if we made it out alone once a month.

Well, the kids are pretty much old enough to be left alone.  Okay, they're 23 and 15.  And the 23 year old doesn't even live at home, so yes, it's safe to say that they are grown and that we should be able to have a grown up night out - or date night - like we did when we were newlyweds.

Yeah, not so much.

Why?  Believe me, it's not MY choice.  Whenever I suggest a date night, my husband looks at me as if I've asked if he'd like to have a root canal or a prostate exam.

It doesn't make me feel good, I can tell you that.

So when the RT Book Reviews magazine came out the other day, I wanted to go out and celebrate.  Nothing big - I just thought that we could go out for dinner and our son was completely on board.  Actually, he approached my husband and suggested it (so I would be spared the look of horror).  Well, the son got the look.  And the excuses - "I'm tired", "I have a headache", blah, blah, blah.  My son came downstairs and said, "Sorry, Mom.  I tried."

Gotta love that boy.

So tonight, we went out.  Furniture shopping.  Not the most exciting thing in the world, but it was just the two of us and we did end up going for a late dinner.  But here's the funny part that shows just how much things change.  In our twenties, we would just be leaving to go out at around 9 p.m., in our forties, we were freaking out that we were eating at a pub at 9 p.m. and there was a band setting up to play!  We were both like, "Oh, no.  Quick!  Get the check!  Get the check!  They're starting to tune up!!"

Sad.  Very sad.  The good thing about it all though?  Is that it made us laugh and even though we don't go out like we used to and our ideas on what is cause for a celebration don't seem to match, we still spend a great deal of time with laughter in our home and deep love for one another.  Neither of us has any idea about what movies are playing or when there's a good concert coming to town, but we're caught up on every episode of "Law and Order" and spend a great deal of time getting decorating ideas while watching HGTV.

Throw in a bowl of ice cream and that's a pretty sweet date night too! 

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaw, your hubby definitely need a good recommendation of romantic movies! I wish I could give you my opinion but I don't have my own man (yet). Haha. But it's kind of relatable though, because most guys, especially after they're married for a looong time, find that stay at home watching TV is their comfort time. I guess you should talk about this directly with your hubby, Miss Sam. I bet he'll listen to you. :)

    ReplyDelete