Here's just my top ten:
- Everyone you know or are related to will automatically assume that someone in your book is them. This happens particularly when the character is heinous in some way. And they won't come right out and ask me, but they'll speculate amongst themselves until someone just comes out and asks.
- Everyone is suddenly an aspiring author. Only they don't want to actually write. They have ideas. Oh, boy, do they have ideas. They just want to tell them to me and have me write them down and make them into something.
- Most people who are supposed to love you, will not buy your book. They want it for free or they find excuses not to buy them.
- They won't write reviews either.
- And the ones who are SUPER excited for you and tell you they love you 47 times a day start to creep you out with their affection. And believe it or not, sometimes they just want to actually BE you. Trust me. It's happened.
- I honestly don't talk about my books to my family or friends while I'm writing them. And to be fair, hardly anyone asks. All I say is "I'm working on a book" and they're like, "Okay".
- It's super cool when readers love your characters as much as you do.
- My husband still smirks (and occasionally chuckle) when he reads the blurbs or the tag lines on any and all of my books. Such a boy!
- Some of the most generous people who encourage and support me are people I've never met.