So she comes for lunch the other day and tells me this and I burst out laughing. Why? Because I know he's read a LOT of my books and I know that I have written some pretty bad/unloving parents, but not in all of my books!! So I decided to make this post about the fictional fathers and see how it really plays out. Are you ready? Here are the books - in order - and let's figure out this mystery together!
1. Jordan's Return: Jordan's ex-husband is an abusive man (which is why she's no longer married to him) and he does opt to give up custody of his children. Score 1 for bad dad.
2. The Christmas Cottage: Every father in the book is loving and supportive and really quite secondary to the overall story.
3. Ever After: Not a whole lot of mention of fathers in this one except in the same capacity as the Christmas Cottage.
4. Catering to the CEO: Supportive dad to Cassie and her siblings. Adam's father was absentee and kind of a jerk but he got maybe one paragraph of storyline so I'm not counting him. BUT...I'll be fair and give the point. Score 2 for bad dad.
5. Eye of the Storm: Another absentee dad who walked out on his family and again, only a paragraph or two of storyline. Okay...maybe I'm seeing a pattern. Score 3 for bad dad.
6. Wait for Me: William Montgomery is the best father EVER. No points on this one, dad!
7. Trust in Me: William Montgomery is back and STILL awesome. No points.
8. Stay With Me: William Montgomery for the triple play. And Gina's father - though absentee - loved his daughter and stayed away to make her life better and in the end they had a great reconciliation. No bad dad points here either!
9. A Touch of Heaven: One father had passed away and no bad storyline to go with it and the other dad was funny and charming. No bad points again!
10. The Snowflake Inn: Both fathers had passed away and no history to them. No bad dad anywhere in the story!
11. Mistletoe Between Friends: Both families were friends and loving and supportive. No points this round!
12. More of Me: The Montgomerys again. Nothing happening in the bad dad category here.
13. The Baby Arrangement: The baby's biological father was a player who didn't know he had fathered a child and he opted to walk away. Okay, bad dad. Score 4.
14. Baby, I'm Yours: All the dad's here were good. Even Josh, who didn't know he was a dad until his daughter was 3, once he knew he was the best. No points happening here!
15. Baby, Be Mine: Um...father to twin newborns. Steps up to the plate. That's a good dad!
16. Exclusive: I know Taylor's mom is a single mom but I don't even remember giving her father a history. Just that he's not there. So nothing bad to report.
17. Moonlight in Winter Park: Both sets of parents were gone so really, no issues. No points.
18. Return to You: Yes. I will give him this one. Selena's dad was the WORST. Score 5 for the bad dad theory.
19. Meant for You: Sort of. Robert Montgomery is not as nice as his brother William and he's a little overbearing. I'm not going to say that he's the worst but I'll be generous and give the point. Score 6.
20. Duty Bound: Harper's dad was a good guy and so was Levi's. No points.
21. Honor Bound: Sebastian's dad was a manipulative control freak and Ali's dad was weak. So okay, bad. Score 7.
22. Forever Bound: No bad parents in the bunch. We don't discuss them much. So no points there.
23. Home Bound: Yes, Cole's dad was a jerk who deserved the bad things that happened to him. Fine! Score 8.
So let's say about 30% of the books have a bad dad somewhere in the plot. That's not completely horrible, is it? And really, their badness is never a major plot-point or contributing factor.
It's just funny how different people look at the books and see different things or will focus on different things. Odd...