I know I should be thankful that the work is getting done at no cost to us - gotta love a two-year home guarantee - and I am, BUT...I am so out of sorts that I'm walking around here like Mr. Magoo. My
entire schedule is out of whack. I have to get up earlier than usual to make sure that I am showered, dressed and everything is put away before the crew arrives at 8 a.m. I have to take the dog to doggy daycare - and when did THAT become a thing?? And then during the day I am pretty much secluded in my office with a cloud of dust swirling around throughout the house.
And I am not having fun.
I will say this, the crew has been very accommodating. If you don't count the time they just taped and plastic-ed me into the office and kind of forgot about me. Or that half the time the crew pretends that they don't understand English when I try to pinpoint when exactly this work is going to come to an end. I want to shake my fist and yell "I'M ON TO YOU!!" but they probably wont' acknowledge that I've said anything.
And then tape me into my office again and turn up the radio. I just want to be done!!! When is it going to be done??? Why did I let my husband convince me that wavy ceilings were a bad thing???
No, seriously, they clean up after themselves and my writing time has not been hindered at all. I have gotten a LOT of work done. I've made great progress on the second Shaughnessy book and got done with all of the first-read edits on Zach Montgomery's book.
I guess my main issue is that I don't like to sit still. I write every day. I just get up and move around the house in between creative moments. Now that I'm limited to this 4x4 bit of space, I have a lot of time to just...sit. I'll admit it's starting to mess with me. So what do I do with all that time? Glad you asked. Here are the top five useless things I've done in the last week:
1. Tried to learn all the words to Maroon 5's "Payphone".
I'm getting pretty good with it and even came up with some dance moves you can do whether you are standing OR sitting. I know, I know...you're jealous. Not only do I have the time to do this nonsense, but I had the time to choose a song that is not even current! That's right, with the eight jillion songs that Maroon 5 currently has, I had to find an old one. THAT, my friends, take real talent, skill and yes, a lot of time to figure out which song would be the easiest to learn.
2. I read. And no, not just my own stuff that I'm writing, but I actually picked up my Kindle and
downloaded a NEW book and read it. And you know what else? It wasn't even the typical contemporary romance that I usually gravitate toward. It was a young adult/new adult novel and I LOVED it! Not that I'm switching over. It was just a great book that had gotten some buzz and I wanted to check it out. "The Deal" by Elle Kennedy. Check it out.
Then go back to reading my books.
3. I discovered a new word game. Actually, a friend of mine told me about it and now I am seriously addicted and I can play it on my Kindle. Hi-words. It's addictive. Seriously addictive. You have categories and ten levels in each category and it's like a word search - the words are forward, backwards and vertical. Sounds easy right? Wrong. I consider myself to be really good at word games - I rock at Scrabble, I love word searches and crossword puzzles and go crazy for Bananagrams. But this game? It makes me feel like a complete idiot. So I'm determined to prove it wrong.
No matter how many times it tells me that I'm wrong and don't know how to spell.
4. I'm unsubscribing from all of the things that I don't remember subscribing to. This is actually a very good thing. Not useless...just monotonous. Oh. My. God. Today alone I unsubscribed to fifteen different sites. Most of which I had never subscribed to. Some of them wouldn't let me unsubscribe because they said I wasn't a subscriber! How is that even possible?? And the problem? Because I'm forced to sit here in front of the computer day in and day out until the construction work is done? I'll probably subscribe to even more sites! Seriously, somebody stop me!
5. Sat here and seriously contemplated the importance of getting back on my Weight Watchers plan. I did really great with it right up until I left for Myrtle Beach and then? Well, let's just say there was a lot of food eaten and pretty sure that NONE of it was on the Weight Watchers plan. And if it was, I pretty much blew my points for the day at one meal. How is that possible? Chocolate cake in bed. There. I've said it. So now it's like I'll be starting over and that just makes me sad. And it means I have to pack a cooler at seven in the morning with all healthy, low-point value foods and keep it in my office since my kitchen is covered in plastic.
Or I can eat some of the Hershey kisses in the candy bowl on my desk.
No, no, no. It's time. I need to do it. Spring is here, summer will be here before I know it and really, it's time. No more excuses. Maybe I should lock myself up in my room with the treadmill.
Bwa-ha-hahahahaha...I know. I almost couldn't even type that with a straight face! There's also a TV, my Kindle, a fan and a laptop up in my room. That treadmill wouldn't stand a chance no matter how long I was taped in there!