New Logo

New Logo

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

What are we thankful for?

Isn't that the big question - particularly this week?  Thanksgiving time comes around and all of a sudden we are bombarded with that question - what are you thankful for?  And the sad thing is - some of us only remember to be thankful at this time of year. 

Now I'll admit, I used to be like that - thankful only for a short time.  I learned a very valuable lesson when I was pregnant with my younger son.  I had struggled with infertility for almost 8 years and was pretty certain that we'd be a one-child family.  And I was okay with it.  Well, I was talking with a friend one day and she offered to pray with me.  When we were done - and this was over the phone - she said to me, "You're going to have your baby".  I wasn't so certain.

Two months later, I was pregnant.  I was over the moon and just felt like I was walking on a cloud.  Then that sixth week of pregnancy hit and all the happiness and joy I had been feeling was gone.  I was sick all day every day.  I felt like I was going to die daily.  I called my friend one afternoon and told her how awful I felt and she said "You need to remember to praise even in the bad times".  At the time, I wanted to smack her.  But I did.  Every time I felt ill, I said a prayer of thanks because I still had my baby and that in itself was reason to be thankful.

Let me tell you, the rest of that pregnancy was beyond a nightmare.  People around town that I was going to church with still talk about it.  But the thing I learned was how being thankful DAILY really helped.  You don't always have to be thankful for the big things, it's the little things that really make a difference. 

So what am I thankful for?
I am thankful for the cooler weather. 
I am thankful for my health.  It's been a rough year!
I am thankful for my husband and sons.  They make me laugh and smile daily.
I am thankful for my sweet little pug.  Her cuteness makes me smile.
I am thankful that I have a job that I love and that it's the one I always wanted.
I am thankful that there is food on the table.
I am thankful for my friends.
I am thankful for the creativity God has given me.
I am thankful for readers who enjoy my books.
I am thankful for the ability to know that I don't have to please everyone.

I could go on, but finding ten things every day to be thankful for seemed like a good place to start.  So what about you?  What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment