New Logo

New Logo

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Playlist

I'm a complete dork.

I won't even try to deny it.  It's there for all the world to see.  One son reacts with eye rolls and indifference while the other will flat out call me a loser.  Why?  My choice of music.

I'm an 80's girl.  And we all know that 80's music is still big and all that but that doesn't mean that it was all good.  I have satellite radio and there is an 80's station and yes, I listen to it.  The other day my 15 year old and I were in the car and a Def Leppard song came on that I had never heard before.  I was like..."WHAT???"  He started to laugh at me.  You know, the usual response.  So when I tried to explain about why I was so perplexed, he stopped me.  Then he turned to me and said, "You know, you have a LOT of stories about the songs that we listen to."

Really?  I hadn't noticed.

And yes.  That was sarcasm.

I can't help it.  I love music.  I love to have music playing around me.  I sing really badly in car - and really loud too.  I would definitely say that my life has a soundtrack but the music would be all over the place.  Even though my first love is music of the 80's, I still have a rather eclectic playlist on my iPod.

Like what, you ask?  (Insert smile here)

Taylor Swift.  Only her new stuff.  I can't help it.  It's catchy and I can't stop singing it.  To my sons:  Haters gonna hate...

Sad songs.  Oh.  My.  God.  I do enjoy a good sad song.  You know the kind - songs of lost love, breakups and fear of dying alone.  It doesn't matter who's singing it or why...I just want to hear it.  All of Chicago's songs in the 80's?  Sad.  Power ballads by metal bands?  Sad.  Even when they are kind of lovesong-ish?  They're still sad!!  But what makes it worse is that singing a sad song, kind of makes me happy.  And sometimes it's really good inspiration for a new book.  Everybody sing!

70's music.  No, not the cool stuff.  I'm talking really random, one-hit wonders type of stuff.  "It Never Rains in California", "Beach Baby" - I list the title because no one knows who sang these songs.  Then I round that decade off with some Bay City Rollers, Abba and random disco.

The Osmonds.  Don't judge.  If you're a woman in your 40's, you probably had a Donny Osmond crush or know the words to "Puppy Love" or "One Bad Apple."  Don't lie.  I watched the Donny and Marie Show, I had the dolls and when my older son got his braces off, I referred to his smile as being like Donny's.  I also have a greatest hits CD as part of my playlist - for nostalgia. 

The Jackson Five.  How can you NOT smile when J5 is singing???  There have been times - and I completely own this - that I will "dance" (and I use that term loosely) while I'm driving and "I want you back" comes on. Give me some bell bottoms and a fringed vest and I could have totally been a backup dancer here.

Donna Summer.  Enough said.

If they had big hair and had a song in the 80's, they're on my iPod. 

I can go from banging my head, to shaking it off, to crying my eyes out, to being a dancing queen.  Bottom line?  Music makes me happy.

What's on your playlist??

No comments:

Post a Comment